Resultados 1 al 1 de 1

Tema: "Pelican" vs."Non-Pelican" F1's car nose brief CFD analysis

Moderator Avatar de llumia
    Northern Kingdom Mountains. Where neither the eagles even dare.
    Entradas de blog

"Pelican" vs."Non-Pelican" F1's car nose brief CFD analysis

I exhibit below, a brief report related to the influence of a “bulge” on the airflow that goes through the underside of a F1's car nose.

Before I do anything else, I want to thank my fellow at f1-gears.com, Roller, who very kindly, made both geometries with Catia code.

These are both noses (non-pelican/pelican), imported to the meshing code (Gambit):

The “non-pelican” nose:

subir fotos online

The “pelican” nose:

sube imagenes

As in the previous step-less vs. stepped F1's car nose brief CFD analysis:

- They have been used the real length between lines A-A and B-B (925 mm) besides the minimum external dimension (vertical) at the section A-A (275 mm) and the minimum external dimension (vertical) at the section B-B (400mm).

- It has been set, too, an airflow's speed of 50m/s because that's the maximum allowed by FIA (2013 Formula One Sporting Regulations) during wind tunnel testing [Rule 22.10].

This is the velocity vectors chart, for the “non-pelican” nose:

imag

Enlarged view of the above image:

subir fotos gratis

This is the velocity vectors chart, for the “pelican” nose:

imagenes gratis

imagen

Velocity vectors comparative chart for both noses:

subefotos

We can see, that the presence of the bulge under the nose increases airflow's speed.

sube imagenes

In addition to velocity vectors, we are able to analyse velocity and static pressure contours, too.

If we look at the contours of velocity, we can see how airflow's speed increases for the “pelican” nose case.

subir imagen

subirimagenes

Static Pressure contours comparative chart for both noses:

sube imagenes

imagen jpg

For the “pelican” case, there will have a bigger static pressure gradient, in other words, the “pelican” nose (such as they[both noses] were drawn) will create “more downforce” than the “non-pelican” one.

We should note that, because we have not taken into account the front wing elements (main profile, flaps, etc.), after the iterative process we obtain “positive” values of the coefficient “cl” (downforce coefficient).

More than the values obtained for the downforce coefficient, what is truly important here, is its change as the “non-pelican” or the “pelican” one, may be the case.

“Non-pelican” nose results:

subir foto

“Pelican” nose results:

sube imagenes

We can see that clpelican<clnon-pelican, in other words, the presence of such a bulge underneath of the nose, induces a “more negative (smaller)” downforce coefficient (0.23<0.30).

I hope you liked it.

Regards, MarleneKberg.
    Última edición por llumia; 04/08/2014 a las 13:17
    Alonso carried his Renault to third place in Singapore. After Vettel and Rosberg wrecked their own races, he seized a podium from a car that did not deserve it.

That is the difference between the great and the merely good.

Martin Brundle (Sing '09)

"Alonso has been brilliant all weekend, absolutely brilliant". "A driver not always easyto love, but very easy to admire".

Martin Brundle (Sing '10)